And, yes, I know it's not Christmas! I just stole that
phrase from my friend Anna. What time is it, you ask?
It's time to get ready for the kiddos to go BACK TO SCHOOL!!
I will be the first to tell you that I am NOT the
homeschool-keep-my-kids-with-me-all-of-the-time type of Mom. My kids need
to go to school... ok, yes, I need them to go to school. Not to mention
there's no way that I am qualified to teach them what they need to learn to
succeed in life. There are just some things that are meant to be taught
by other people, and yes, I will admit, Algebra is one of them!
Today was registration day for Timothy. I asked him if
he is excited about going back to school and he said "YEAH" with his
arms in the air! It was nice to see his Principal; she is such a sweet
person. There has been a little issue with what school he will go to
over the last few months. We live in a small district. It consists
of two schools, our Elementary school and our Jr/Sr High School. That's
it. The special needs that Timothy has are complex. Not only does he have delays due to his Down
syndrome, he has delays due to his background, his lack of any sort of
education, but he is also still non-verbal. Our district is not equipped to
handle his needs. I LOVE our school
district. I will defend it to anyone
because they are wonderful.
When faced
with having to send Timothy somewhere else, I was very upset. The nearest district to us had no openings
when it was time for him to be moved to a school where his needs could be
met. So, despite my being very against
it, we had to look beyond our nearest district.
The next place that was available was 15 miles away. I didn’t like that option at.all. I didn’t want him so far away. I didn’t want him being driven. I didn’t want him to go there. Period.
I did agree to see the school and meet the teachers. His teacher at the time and I went on a
little visit. I was less and less adamant
that he not go there the more I saw. By
the end of the visit, I was willing to give it a try. By the end of the school year, I was certain
that he was meant to be right there. I
love his special ed teacher. LOVE her.
Fast forward a bit.
Our home district has a say in where he goes to school because they are
the ones that have to provide transportation since they don’t have the program
that he needs. The Principal here wants
to move him to the closer district.
No. I will not be moving
him. I will not bend this time. THEY are the ones that convinced me to let
him go to the school he is going to. I
don’t care if it’s closer. I don’t care
now that he has to be driven to school.
He.will.not.be.moving.
Timothy was abducted by aliens almost three years ago. He was snatched out of the home, away from
the people, the language, and the only security that he had ever known. He was taken by strangers who didn’t speak
his language, who made him eat things he’d never seen, made to sleep in a bed
alone, without the comfort of the 12 other children he had grown to know as his
“family”. He was surrounded by all of
these people who wanted to talk to him, and hold him, and he had no idea if he
would ever go back. As time has gone on,
he has learned to acclimate to the new life that he has. I would even venture to guess that he is a
pretty happy little guy.
He has had so much change in his life already. I am
his Mom. It’s my job to fight for him.
It’s my job to help him to succeed and become whatever it is that God wants him
to be. It’s my job to make the hard
decisions. It’s my job to protect
him. I take that job very
seriously.
No comments:
Post a Comment